Thirteen volunteer firefighters of Fort Erie Fire
Co. No. 2 formed the Fort Erie LaFrance Association
in 1983. A 1947 American LaFrance (open cab) pumper
was purchased by the members from Mr. Hall of Crystal
Beach Ontario. It had been in service at Fire Co.
No. 2 and was answering an emergency call of fire
at the Landmark Hotel on Netherby Road and Q.E.W.
highway, during the blizzard of '77. As a result
of the severe weather conditions, the truck froze
up during the fire and went out of service for
6 years. These members located it and after a complete
restoration of the vehicle, they now needed a place
to store the fire truck.
In November of 1986, construction began on the
present site of the museum, which was about 2,000
sq. ft. After holding meetings at member's homes
for a year, the first meeting was held at the facility
in June 1987. The building included washrooms,
meeting room and kitchen.
In the spring of 1991 an addition was added to
the existing building increasing the size to about
4,000 square feet. The addition included an office.
Shortly after the purchase of the 1947 LaFrance
open cab the association acquired a 1947 closed
cab from Leo Brzyski of Clarence Center New York
and had it restored. It was part of the firefighting
equipment in Williamsville New York U.S.A. and
has since been returned to them.
- 1915 FORD MODEL "T"
- 1917 FORD CHEMICAL WAGON
- 1924 LAFRANCE PUMPER
- 1927 REO BICKEL PUMPER (origin -Station 1 Fort Erie)
- 1938 DODGE SQUAD TRUCK (origin - Ridgeway)
- 1947 LAFRANCE PUMPER (origin -Station 2, Fort Erie)
- 1952 GMC RESCUE VAN (origin -Station 6, Fort Erie)
- 1952 FWD 60 ft Tiller
On January 28, 1989 a 1917 Ford Model "T" Chemical
wagon and a 1924 American LaFrance pumper was purchased
from Mr. Ross of Peterborough Ontario. These vehicles
were part of the Renfrew Ontario fire fighting
The largest truck acquired, in excess of 60 feet,
is a 1952 FWD Tiller from Dr. Gibbons of Buffalo,
The association has since obtained a 1915 Ford
Model "T" chiefs car from Don Belfry
of Fort Erie, a 1927 Bickel from Fort Erie Fire
Co. No. 1, a 1952 GMC rescue truck from Crystal
Beach Firefighters Assoc. in Fort Erie and a 1938
Dodge Squad truck from Larry Kline of Ridgeway,
Other acquisitions include:
- 1906 Canadian Pumper Steamer - The Canadian
Fire Engine No. 105, London Ontario.
- 1880 Side Stroke Hand Pumper - the Gleason
and Bailey Mfg. Co., Seneca Falls, New York U.S.A.
- 1845 hand drawn pumper - Hunneman & Co.
Mfgr, Rocks, Village U.S.A.